Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Me on Modeling.

Note: This post was created solely based on my thoughts and feelings, and what I have been through. That's why it's titled 'me on modeling'. Any objections to this post will be ignored unless really necessary. Thank you.

Alrights, I guess the first question on your minds is, Why did I join modeling?

I have to admit that initially all I wanted was the fame and the prestige attached to the term ‘modeling’. Till now, I have no idea why people still think it’s a very glamorous when they hear the term ‘modeling’. So, it was because of that initial reason that caused me to be very very disappointed when I couldn’t achieve what I wanted.

I first saw this advertisement in the newspapers saying they are searching for students for portfolio shoots. Well, being the dumb me, I decided to apply for it. At that time I was waiting for O levels to end as well. So I paid quite a huge price for a set of photos which I browsed for like maximum 10 times? And I think I lost the CD.

So here are some of the photos by Create Talents:


Well, as I wanted to get famous (yes, i'm that materialistic) but I didn’t manage to achieve it, so I wanted to give up. But then another part of me didn’t want to.

So in 2008, I went for an interview with Cue Models. Supposed to join then but I still wanted very much to be famous. So to prevent myself from being disappointed again, I decided to fly the agent aeroplane.

Then my mum talked me round saying to not see it as a chance to make money and get famous but rather to learn something. So I had a hard time convincing myself that I am joining modeling to learn new things. So in 2009, I joined Cue Models.

Till now, I’m occasionally lost between learning and to become famous.

Some of the photos done by Timeless Romance photography:



Then, I also joined this company/costume rental shop named 13th Zodiac.

They too help clients source for models. They are located at Bali lane. So together with the 2 other girls, I left my contact with them and did a shoot with them shortly after.


As for the photoshoots which I am occasionally doing now, they are organized by Candleghost.

So how did I get to know him? Ok, I just added him in facebook saying I’m a freelance model when I had done nothing related to modeling at all. Yeah, then he casted me and my friends the next day and got me down for a shoot not long after.



To me, I wouldn’t really consider myself a model.

Because to me, a model is a lady who is at least 1.68m, good looks and have a proportionate figure. Oh yes, a straight set of teeth too. But I think it will be weird to tell people I’m not a model when they see my photoshoots. Then they will go, “then what the hell are you?” I don’t think I’m pretty. I’m just average. Everything about me is average.

I would say being in the modeling industry is akin to falling in love. You have to find an agent/company who understands you, trusts you, believes in you, share the same thoughts and feelings as you and give you the confidence you need.

Are you going to ask me will I ever undergo the knife for the sake of modeling?

Well, I guess I might. Who wouldn't want to look perfect so that everyone out there will be fighting for you?

You know, those pretty faces which you see on TV and photos are actually not their real self. Yes, those top models etc are actually not what they really look like. The photos are all edited. As for TVC, some do look better on screen.

So you know where the term photogenic comes from?

And, I also think that in this modeling industry or as life is, there is nothing such as who and who is irreplaceable. Every other day, there is a new face in this industry. When you think that person can never replace you, the person has already done so.

One important thing which I feel every model/model-to-be must have is the ‘never give up’ attitude. I have to admit sometimes I don’t have that attitude. At times, I really feel like giving up and going back to being a salesgirl or one who just studies every day.

Never give up is especially important when you have people throwing negative comments about you or when you’re in an environment which isn't in favour to you.

I once asked this famous blogger, Miss E, if this industry was really not easy and she replied me, “yes. This industry is not easy.” And I think I’ve experienced the not easy part.

There was one time whereby I was really very dejected and really felt like giving up forever. I think I only told 2 people about this so far. Not even my mum knows about it.

I had photographers running off to shoot another model when they were supposed to be shooting me. My mood that day was really greatly affected. I almost wanted to give up. When I got home, I asked myself, “Am I doing a really bad job? Why didn’t they want to shoot me? Maybe I’m really not cut out for this industry.” So after I asked myself that, I just cried.

But no matter what, I should be grateful to those who ran off because somehow they made me a stronger person.

I remember Jolin Tsai once saying this, “谢谢那些曾看不起我的人。因为你们的打击使我维持最佳状态。

It means thank you to those who have once looked down on me. Because of it has made me ensure that I’m always in the tip-top condition.

If I were to be grateful to people, apart from those who think I cannot make it, I am also grateful to those who gave me chances and encouraged me. I believe those were genuine words coming from themt. All these people who appeared in my modeling life has somewhat played a role to make me who I am today.

One thing to note is that in Singapore, it’s not easy to make it big. So if you are thinking to be a model just to become famous, wake up. Don’t follow my footsteps.

Well, some say to make your face recognised, you should take part in competitions (pageants etc). Eh, I guess it does play a small part?

Oh yes, before I forget. Well, my biggest wish (apart from famous) when I joined modeling was to be able to do catwalk. But because of my height, I wasn’t allowed for those real fashion shows. But i was glad I was able to do a mini catwalk in Singapore Polytechnic itself. It was a catwalk for Steffi’s Boutique’s launch.



I think I’ve come to the end of my thoughts on modeling.

If you’re planning to join modeling, all the best to you. May you find the correct agent/company who can be considered your soul mate.

Thank you for reading.


***

so, right now, for the post on boyfriend, i have 2 people. anymore? cos' it must be four before i will blog.


with love,

ashleyinqing at 4.12pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home